Welcome to Nieman Elementary Bands
Greetings band family!
As we are settling into a groove with our elementary band classes, I wanted to update you all on a few things that will help your student continue to be successful musicians throughout this year. Please read through these items, and discuss them with your kids, so you can make a plan to get the most out of your band experience!
- By this point, all students should have the appropriate supplies to play and maintain their instruments, as well as a book. These supplies are required, and the book, which costs about $10, is essentially our textbook, and every lesson and practice exercise that we use comes from that book. If you have not purchased one yet, your student does not have the resources to learn in class, or practice at home. Please get a book ASAP!
- 5th grade band members: Please bring all of your cleaning and maintenance supplies to your next rehearsal (Wednesday for MP and Nieman, Thursday for SFT, EA, and Rushton). We will go over what each item is for, and how to use it properly.
- ALL band students (5th AND 6th grade) are required to practice at home, at least 60 minutes per week. This should be spread out over 3-4 days if possible. Don’t hesitate to practice more if you want! 6th grade band members now have practice logs that their parents or guardians should be signing every week. 5th grade students will begin using practice logs in October, so please be on the lookout for that. I highly recommend setting up a regular practice schedule. Remember, the hardest part of practicing is getting the horn out of the case 🙂
- I have posted PDF’s of our monthly practice logs for students to download and print if they lose theirs. Go to your school page at smnorthbands.org, and look for the link on the right sidebar.
- Be sure to keep checking the website for pictures, videos, and updates!
All the best,
Thanks to Mr. Anderson for dropping in to visit our 6th grade band rehearsal, and for taking pictures of our great kids in action!
I know many of you have been asking about which accessories are really necessary to for your student to be successful in band. To simplify this, I have created a scaled down version of the flyer you received earlier this year, detailing the items that you need. I cannot emphasize enough that these items are REQUIRED, and should not be considered “extras”. Your student’s instrument will not function properly, and may even require expensive repairs if they are not properly maintained. In the case of clarinets and saxophones, the instrument will not even play! As with the instrument itself, buying a reputable brand is important, and I have noted those brands where appropriate.
I will be going over instrument care and maintenance next week, so please be sure that your student has all of their supplies by then. Click the link below to view the items that your student needs, and happy practicing!
Greetings parents and students!
I am very excited to get started with our elementary band programs. Music is such a joy for me to share with my students, and I am looking forward to beginning this journey with all of you.
Please refer back to this page over the school year for updated information regarding rehearsals, concerts, and assignments. The calendar will be updated with performances and other deadlines as they arise. I will also be posting photos and videos on occasion so you can watch as your student progresses. Below, you will find links to the enrollment forms for 5th and 6th grade band. Please print these out, and complete them as soon as possible. You may return them to your school’s front office, where I will be sure to pick them up.
6th grade band rehearsals will begin on August 29th, and 5th grade band will begin on September 7th. Please be sure to bring your instrument, your book, and a pencil.
All the best,