Greetings band family!
As we are settling into a groove with our elementary band classes, I wanted to update you all on a few things that will help your student continue to be successful musicians throughout this year. Please read through these items, and discuss them with your kids, so you can make a plan to get the most out of your band experience!
- By this point, all students should have the appropriate supplies to play and maintain their instruments, as well as a book. These supplies are required, and the book, which costs about $10, is essentially our textbook, and every lesson and practice exercise that we use comes from that book. If you have not purchased one yet, your student does not have the resources to learn in class, or practice at home. Please get a book ASAP!
- 5th grade band members: Please bring all of your cleaning and maintenance supplies to your next rehearsal (Wednesday for MP and Nieman, Thursday for SFT, EA, and Rushton). We will go over what each item is for, and how to use it properly.
- ALL band students (5th AND 6th grade) are required to practice at home, at least 60 minutes per week. This should be spread out over 3-4 days if possible. Don’t hesitate to practice more if you want! 6th grade band members now have practice logs that their parents or guardians should be signing every week. 5th grade students will begin using practice logs in October, so please be on the lookout for that. I highly recommend setting up a regular practice schedule. Remember, the hardest part of practicing is getting the horn out of the case 🙂
- I have posted PDF’s of our monthly practice logs for students to download and print if they lose theirs. Go to your school page at smnorthbands.org, and look for the link on the right sidebar.
- Be sure to keep checking the website for pictures, videos, and updates!
All the best,